How to take care of your silver jewelry and keep them in good condition?
Silver is a very noble metal, which is why it is so popular in high-quality pieces of jewelry . However, when you buy a silver jewel, you should know that there are specific care measures to maintain its beauty and shine for as long as possible. Do you know how to care for your silver jewelry? In this blog we will tell you everything you need to identify to keep them impeccable and protected.
Why should you take care of your silver jewelry?
Do not be alarmed, knowing how to care for your silver jewelry correctly is not a big deal, however, many people are unaware of it and for this reason their jewelry does not remain as shiny and well cared for as when they acquired the piece.
The main reason to take care of your jewelry is due to the risk that it may darken or lose its shine , even scratch or be damaged by misuse, so you should not only know how to care for them, but it is also relevant that you know how clean your 925 silver and how to store it correctly.
At Vicari, all our silver is 925, with a rhodium finish , which gives the piece greater shine and makes it look spectacular. This rhodium plating covers the jewel, preventing it from acquiring a dark tone for longer. in contact with air and chemical compounds, however, if you know how to take care of your silver jewelry, you will give the pieces a longer life and you will be able to safeguard their shine.
How to care for silver jewelry?
Silver does not go into an oxidized state, as long as it is genuine silver and not costume jewelry . Despite this, if your silver comes into contact with air, it can react with chemicals found in the atmosphere, causing the piece to darken and lose its shine over time if you don't know how to care for your silver. silver jewelry. Due to these characteristics, we show you the points that you should consider to know how to care for your silver jewelry:
- Avoid exposing your pieces to long periods under the sun, the sea or artificial light , these are environments that accelerate the darkening of the jewels.
- Prevent your silver pieces from coming into contact with chemical products, which, although they are for daily use, can damage your jewelry if they are constantly exposed to it for long periods of time. As an example, avoid the use of perfumes, hair products such as lacquers, cosmetics, creams, or even your own sweat. If your piece is exposed, it is best to clean it properly after use.
- We recommend using your pieces of jewelry at the right times, try not to wear them when you bathe , go swimming in the sea or where there is a lot of chlorine, such as swimming pools, avoid wearing them when you exercise or go to the gym, because sweat also damage the silver
- Do not clean them with abrasive products that could generate a reaction with the metal, later we will explain how to clean 925 silver.
How to clean 925 silver?
Now that you know how to take care of your silver jewelry, it is important that you know how to clean 925 silver correctly. Here are some simple steps that you must follow:
- What we mostly recommend is that you use a special silver cleaner, along with a soft cloth, and thoroughly clean the piece.
- If you do not have the cleaner, you can choose to soak the silver in ½ cup of white vinegar and 2 tablespoons of baking soda, they will create a foam and help you remove any residue.
- When finished, rinse the pieces with lukewarm water and dry them properly with a soft cloth.
- You can finish and give it the final touch, with a silver polish, whether you do it with a soft cloth or polishing gloves, this will help you remove any tarnish that your piece may have and restore its shine.
- An extra tip is that you try to do it every time you see that your piece needs this maintenance, do not overdo it , but also do not let a lot of time pass and dirt and tarnish accumulate.
How to store silver jewelry?
There are many ways to identify how to store your silver jewelry to keep it in good condition for longer. It must be remembered that silver is a metal that must be taken special care of, since in the environment there are several elements that carry out chemical reactions when they come into contact with the air.
Here are some options:
1.- Traditional jewelers
Elements such as jewelry boxes will always be a great option, despite the years, they will manage to keep all your pieces of jewelry in order and in their place, we know that they exist in different sizes and designs, however, the important thing that you should consider at the moment to choose jewelry boxes, it is that these are lined with a soft fabric so that they do not scratch the pieces.
Remember that in order for the pieces not to tarnish they must be in a cool and dry place , so try to get jewelry boxes that have a hermetic seal , that is, they can facilitate isolation from the outside environment.
2.- Jewelry fabrics
If traditional jewelry boxes are not your thing and you keep wondering how to store silver jewelry, an excellent option is special jewelry fabrics or blankets . This resource for caring for your jewelry is more common and easier to find, since, there are more and more sites or jewelry stores that offer them at an affordable price.
An advantage of jewelry fabric is that it is very practical for compact places or for storing them neatly in suitcases, these qualities make them the perfect option if you travel. Remember that there are jewelry blankets for specific pieces, make sure that the one you buy meets your needs.
3.- Hermetic containers
These types of containers are usually made of plastic, it may not be a very aesthetic way to store silver jewelry, but rest assured that it will keep them isolated and protected from the outside and any element that could damage your silver pieces.
They come in different sizes, we recommend you opt for those hermetic containers that have different compartments and divisions of different sizes, so that each of your pieces is separated and does not scratch each other.
4.- Glass box
Now, if what you are looking for is to show off your pieces, even when you do not wear them, a glass box is the ideal option, since by storing the jewels in a box that can be seen from the outside, and identify what is inside , you achieve that the beauty of the jewels continues to be appreciated by themselves, these qualities are ideal as a decorative element and to give more personality to a space.
It is important that the glass box is of good quality, because when closing it, the lid must insulate the exterior, because if the lid is not kept closed, it could dull your pieces.
5.- Plastic bags
Now, if you have a lot of jewelry and you have a limited designated space to store your jewelry, a good solution to cover them from the outside is to put them in individual plastic bags, it is recommended that these have a sliding closure, this will serve to seal the entry of air and keep each of your pieces in a better state . After keeping each of your pieces in individual bags, you can drop them off and arrange them.
A tip that we give you is that this technique for storing silver jewelry can be combined with other forms , such as hermetic containers, traditional jewelry boxes, and even crystal boxes. Remember that the objective is to know how to care for jewelry of silver, is that you protect them from the outside.
Now that you know how to take care of silver jewelry, you will be able to give each of your pieces the correct treatment . At Vicari we have a wide variety of jewelry that will highlight your beauty. Discover the stories and moments that you can create with our jewelry, as Vicari pieces are made to last a lifetime with the proper care.