Silver allergies: 5 tips to avoid it
Silver is one of the most used materials in jewelry, due to its quality or easy handling to create unique pieces, there are alloys to make the composition of the metal more resistant. But, have you ever wondered why some people are allergic to silver, or maybe you are that person.
When we suffer from a reaction generated by silver jewelry , it is always thought that the allergy originates directly from this metal. What would happen if we told you that money is not the problem? In this blog, we will tell you how to avoid a silver allergy and why this reaction is generated.
What is the origin of the allergy to silver?
Did you know that there are two types of metals that are involved when it comes to producing the alloy for jewelry? Below we will explain each one and how they are composed:
- Reactive metals : These are made up of nickel, cobalt, cadmium, etc. They are known as reactive metals, as they interact with the particles that are around them.
- Stable metals: Silver and gold are included in this category. Their quality is that they do not interact or react with what is around them.
With this brief explanation, you will have noticed that both silver and gold (stable metals) are not the ones that react with your skin or generate some type of allergy, but are caused by one of the reactive metals that make up your jewel.
Why is an allergy to silver generated?
We have already read that silver is not to blame for causing an allergic reaction, so what causes the allergy?
Let us remember that pure silver is a soft metal, therefore, in order for jewels to last longer and have different physical attributes , alloys with metals that are harder in their composition have to be created, which means that there are different silver finishes. , that is when the reaction with your skin and allergy to silver can occur, when it comes into contact with other metals.
One of the main causes of allergies is nickel. Allergies to nickel are the most common, since they occur when combined especially in pieces of jewelry, from there comes the main reason for the reactions on your skin.
What are the symptoms of a nickel allergy?
Probably, you have suffered some of these symptoms and because you were not informed, surely you have not known what to do, or you would simply like to prevent it in case it happens to you or someone close to you.
When sweat mixes with some of the metals that make up your jewelry, in this case nickel, they can cause a harmful reaction on the skin. Some of the symptoms of a nickel allergy are manifested by:
- Among others, depending on your skin type.
What to do if you have a nickel allergy?
When you present any of these symptoms, the first thing you should do is remove the piece that is causing the allergy and apply a soothing cream to the affected area.
Sometimes the simple fact of putting on some ointment does not make the allergy stop. If this happens, it is best to go to a dermatologist to prescribe a corticosteroid cream that will help calm and reduce this allergy. Once you identify what type of jewelry is causing these reactions, you will be able to avoid them and everything will be much easier.
How to avoid allergy to silver?
Surely you are wondering how to avoid allergy to silver, or in any case allergy to nickel, here are 5 tips that you should take into account if you have this type of skin reaction and not experience it in the future.
- It is always better to use .925 silver jewelry . These have a high composition of pure silver and the alloy with copper is generated, in any case it is better that you verify that they do not contain nickel.
- If you like to be even more cautious, you can buy rhodium-plated jewelry , since this is a special hypoallergenic treatment. At Vicari all our jewelry is created with .925 silver with rhodium plating.
- Avoid jewelry that you do not know what the metals that compose it are, as you read before, they may contain some of the reactive metals and cause damage to your skin.
- When you go to the gym, pool, beach or shower, avoid taking your jewelry with you. There are certain environments that accelerate reactions in your jewelry. In conclusion, avoid places where you easily emit sweat , since it dissolves part of the metals and our skin absorbs them, resulting in allergies.
- To avoid allergies to nickel, look for high-end jewelry stores that inform you of the composition of your jewelry and give you a certainty that you are not buying silver with alloys that can damage your skin.
At Vicari all the silver used to make our pieces is .925 law and nickel free , backed by the contrast number MC-257 issued by the Mexican Ministry of Economy.
Now that you know why some beach jewelry causes allergies, we recommend you always read the description of the jewelry and its composition, to find out if it contains any reactive metal.
The next time you suffer from an allergy to silver, don't worry, everything has a solution and you won't have to give up jewelry to look radiant. At Vicari we have a wide variety of high jewelry collections that will not harm your skin. Do you want to know more? We invite you to read our article: What is a hypoallergenic jewel? [with examples]